Skip to content

The VW Bus Project

October 5, 2009

I figure it is time to start talking about the projects we are doing to the bus. In my last post, you saw a couple “before” pics.You can see the progress we have made on the front passenger seat. We carefully removed the seat covers to expose the original foam and horsehair padding. Most of the hair just fell of the seat. After picking off the old foam we got it down to bare medal. We aren’t sure what we will use as new padding so I am leaving the driver seat intact for when we start working on the engine and need to go on test drives.

We are making progress on the back seat/bed as well. We have removed the entire seat and bracket. We removed all the old fabric and old foam, and purchased the new materials. The fabric was beyond repair and not really our taste. The foam could have been salvaged but we wanted to start with something fresh since we are redoing the rest of the interior. Our new fabric is a Nautica blue striped pattern. We are going with white curtains to brighten up the inside of the bus.

We are now done with the floor project too. Before, it was a dirty red carpet. You can see the contrast between what was underneath the back seat and the part that was walked on everyday. It turned out to be pretty easy to rip up the carpet. There was a thin foam pad between the carpet and the plywood that is the floor of the bus. After a little scrapping, the foam is gone too and there is a very thin layer of black foam on top of the plywood. This should actually help with what we are installing as the new floor. We found a great deal on a couple boxes of special order return Pergo hardwood at Lowes. I think the color is Atlantic Maple and it looks awesome. Because the floor of the bus is plywood, the Pergo will install over it without further prep or materials. It took us about five hours to install the whole floor. We have some tan caulk for the edging after we redo the walls.

We are thinking about painting over all the old wood veneer interior. This would really brighten up the interior and modernize it at the same time.

The bus still does not have  a battery so we haven’t even tested the engine or any electrical. For fun we decided to plug in the RV cord. This cord is used when at a campsite with hookups. It is basically a big cord to plug in the bus to avoid draining the battery. We didn’t learn too much other that the fridge does work! The fridge should also run on propane but it was nice to know it works electrically as well.

I haven’t figured out how to insert pics throughout this post so I am just lumping them in a photo gallery at the end. The pictures follow the steps above so should be pretty easy to follow.

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. October 6, 2009 1:37 pm

    Working on my own project on 1200 type 15 at the moment.

  2. November 18, 2009 4:32 pm

    I really like the way the floor came out. I didn’t know the floor was supposed to be ply wood. Are they all supposed to be like that or is that something the previous owner did.

    • November 18, 2009 5:02 pm

      Thanks for the compliment. I haven’t seen other stripped down so I don’ t know if they all have plywood. However, I have heard of other people taking the floor down to plywood so I know some came from the factory like that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: